This is Episode #12 and it is the fourth in my Health and Wellness Series!! So far, in this journey, we have looked at a day in the life, which begins with lemon water, devotional time & exercise! Today, I am introducing a health practice that many will shudder at, literally! A hot/cold contrast shower! Before you completely write me off, hear me out! This practice is a very old one that has slowly started gaining recognition. You may have heard of cryotherapy or ice baths when it comes to intense recovery, and I am suggesting you can get a form of this “cold therapy” in your every day routine, through a wonderful hot/cold contrast shower.
In this Episode you will learn:
Hydrotherapy is an amazing alternative health technique that provides incredible benefits to our entire body! Hydrotherapy has been used for centuries for a variety of health benefits and therapies, but today I want to talk about 7 reasons you should make hydrotherapy, specifically in the form of a hot/cold shower part of your routine…
- First, it promotes healing and strong immunity, by increasing white blood cell counts.
- Second it improves our lymphatic function.
- Third, it increases circulation. This great circulation is beneficial to our skin and hair and nails, and helps to repair muscles form strenuous workouts.
- Fourth, it helps our metabolic functions which ends up promoting weightloss.
- Another quick area of interest is sexual health. Testosterone is increased in men, and because it helps the skin, the neck, breasts, stomach, really any area that is under the water, is going to experience a tightening and lifting.
Sixth, it reduces stress and can help with relieving depression. “Research at the Department of Radiation Oncology at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine indicates that short cold showers may stimulate the brain’s “blue spot”– the brain’s primary source of noradrenaline — a chemical that could help mitigate depression.”
- Lastly, a contrast shower is just amazing for our minds. It can work to make our minds and bodies more powerful!
So, needless to repeat, these contrast hot/cold showers are amazing and should absolutely become part of your daily or at least, weekly routine.
What will you need:
- Did I mention willpower?
- When you step into the shower, you turn your shower to the warmest level, to get your body comfortable. Stay under the warm water for about 2-3 minutes. Then switch the knob to the VERY coldest level possible, and stay in the direct line of the (hopefully, ice cold) water for at least 30 seconds. Then, switch the water back to hot for 2 minutes. Repeat this process for 3-5 rounds, and here is the most important part….
END ON COLD. 2 min hot/30 sec cold/2 min hot/30 sec cold/2 min hot/30 sec cold…turn off water!
Ending on cold leaves your body invigorated and in prime readiness for mental and physical acuity.
- The first cold experience is the worst…but after the first round, it gets increasingly easier!
I hope this gave you some incentive to try this hydrotherapy, and I hope you have a GREAT time in this challenge. If you need the reminder of why you should be doing hot/cold showers, go ahead and play this again!! I promise you will find so much goodness from this very simple wellness habit.
If you do end up giving this a shot. I would LOVE to hear about it! You can leave comment here on this page, or share on facebook/instagram. I would absolutely adore some stories from your hot/cold shower journeys!!
Cold shower as treatment for depression : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17993252